Make and share this Amish Apple Crisp recipe from SmallRecipe.com.
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 serving(s)
|5 -6 apples, peeled and sliced|
|1/3 cup sugar|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1 cup flour|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 unbeaten egg|
|1/2 teaspoon cinnamon|
|1/3 cup butter, melted|
- Place apple mixture in a deep dish pie pan.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix topping ingredients, EXCEPT the cinnamon and butter, with a fork until blended.
- Sprinkle topping over apples.
- Drizzle melted butter over topping.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 375°F degrees for 40 minutes.
Calories 549.6, Fat 17.2, Saturated Fat 10.2, Cholesterol 87.1, Sodium 537.5, Carbohydrate 98.1, Fiber 6.8, Sugar 65.4, Protein 5.6
These Amish apple dumplings are prepared by our local Mennonite market for the local fruit farm’s annual apple picking open house.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|6 medium baking apples, peeled and cored|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 ½ teaspoons baking powder|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|⅔ cup shortening|
|½ cup milk|
|3 cups brown sugar, divided|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|2 cups water|
|¼ cup butter|
|¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg|
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Set apples aside in a cold water bath while you prepare the dough.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add shortening and cut together with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Add milk and stir until dough comes together.
- Combine 1 cup brown sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Separate dough into six equal portions and roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place an apple in the center of each dough portion and fill the core with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Wrap each apple in dough and place into the prepared pan.
- Combine remaining brown sugar, water, butter, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, about 5 minutes. Pour syrup over dumplings.
- Bake in the preheated oven until dough is golden brown and apples are soft, about 40 minutes.
Calories 923.8 calories, Carbohydrate 160.6 g, Cholesterol 22 mg, Fat 31.6 g, Fiber 4.7 g, Protein 5.6 g, Saturated Fat 10.9 g, Sodium 495.2 mg, Sugar 122.2 g
What do Amish do with apples?
As summer winds down one of the rituals on Amish, and other, farms is the harvest and enjoyment of apples. Orchards are heavy with fat, juicy apples of all varieties that are then turned into ciders, sauces, pies, and other desserts.
What is Amish apple bread?
Amish Apple Bread is a quick bread which simply means it does not have yeast in it. There’s no time waiting for the bread to rise, you can mix then bake it. This recipe is super simple. You can mix it together in no time. However, it does take 50 minutes to bake in a loaf pan. This recipe doesn’t make a large loaf, which personally I like.
How do you make the best apple crisp?
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch pan and set aside. Mix together the eggs, oil, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl until well blended. Add the apples and the raisins.
How do you cook Amish apple dumplings?
These Amish apple dumplings are prepared by our local Mennonite market for the local fruit farm’s annual apple picking open house. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set apples aside in a cold water bath while you prepare the dough.