Provided by: dina bayoud kohl
Total time: 250 minutes
Prep time: 100 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|For the dough|
|450 g all-purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons rapid-rise dry yeast|
|½ teaspoon salt|
|¼ teaspoon sugar|
|50 ml extra-virgin olive oil|
|250 ml lukewarm water|
|For the filling|
|600 g akkawi cheese|
|150 g spring onions (trimmed, rinsed and thinly sliced)|
|1 bunch of parsley (40 g, leaves stripped off, rinsed, drained and coarsely chopped)|
|2 egg whites|
|30 g melted butter|
|1- teaspoon Nigella seeds|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper|
|½ teaspoon dried green mint (crushed in your palms)|
|For the egg wash|
|2 egg yolks|
|2 tablespoon water|
|1 pinch of salt|
|1- teaspoon Nigella seeds|
- For the dough: Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the oil and water and mix well until the dough gathers into a ball, adding a little extra flour if it is sticky or a drizzle of water if dry. Knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and pliable. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- For the filling: when using akkawi cheese, slice it and soak in water for a couple of hours to reduce the salt. Pat dry the cheese slices and process in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add the spring onions, parsley, egg whites, melted butter, 1 teaspoon nigella seeds, black pepper and dried mint. Mix well.
- For the egg wash: in a small bowl whisk egg yolks, water, salt and nigella seeds.
- Make the pies: On a slightly floured surface divide the dough into 32 pieces, forming each piece into a small ball. Cover with a clean towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll each ball into an oval shape (14×8 cm). Evenly spread a heaped tablespoonful cheese filling over the dough leaving 1 cm border. Fold in the long sides without completely covering the cheese and pinch the ends tightly to seal.
- Transfer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, brush with egg wash and bake in a preheated oven (200°C/ 400°F) for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden in colour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to make a cheese pie?
The flour, egg, milk and cheese are mixed together and cooked on the stove in a skillet like a pancake. Of course you will not end up with the same product, because the recipes are so different. However, as a quick version of this wonderful cheese pie, the results are quite amazing. So, are you going to make it? I hope you do.
What is a fatayer jebneh pie?
A soft yeast dough filled with a blend of three salty cheeses, cilantro and nigella seeds, fatayer jebneh or Arabic cheese pies are baked till golden on the outside. The melted cheese on the inside is the perfect complement to the tender crust.
What kind of cheese is used in cheese pie?
This savory quick and easy cheese pie recipe is an awesome meal that can be served any time of the day. Very versatile, the recipe can be made with most cheeses out there, from feta to mozzarella to goat cheese. I make this recipe quite often for breakfast, especially over the weekends, but I love it as an appetizer when we entertain.
How do you make a homemade apple pie?
Make the pies: On a slightly floured surface divide the dough into 32 pieces, forming each piece into a small ball. Cover with a clean towel and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll each ball into an oval shape (14×8 cm). Evenly spread a heaped tablespoonful cheese filling over the dough leaving 1 cm border.