The beginning of fall comes with an abundance of apples, which means it’s time to start baking! But more than pies, apples roast extremely well with chicken! This dish makes a fantastic sweater-weather meal, with beautifully roasted chicken and an apple, potato, and onion bake that takes advantage of the delicious roasted chicken drippings.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|2 tablespoons butter|
|1 large onion, sliced|
|salt, plus more to taste|
|4 teaspoons white sugar|
|5 medium apples – peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|6 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs|
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary|
|ground black pepper|
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray the top and bottom parts of a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and add onion slices. Sprinkle onions with 1 teaspoon salt and saute for 2 minutes. Add sugar and continue cooking until onions are translucent but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Layer apples, potatoes, and sauteed onion slices in the bottom part of the broiler pan. Cover with the part top of the broiler pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken thighs. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper. Rub olive oil and spices thoroughly all over each thigh and place on the top part of the broiler pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, reads 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 1 hour. Serve apples, potatoes, and onion alongside chicken thighs.
Calories 404.2 calories, Carbohydrate 34.8 g, Cholesterol 81.2 mg, Fat 20.5 g, Fiber 4.5 g, Protein 21.3 g, Saturated Fat 6.4 g, Sodium 486 mg, Sugar 15.8 g
There are many easy and quick ways to make baked chicken with apple slices. Apples give chicken a unique and delicious flavor, and when you bake it like this, you’ll get super juicy chicken, perfect when served with bread, rice or sweet potatoes purée, because that way you can enjoy the chicken juices. I suggest you use any leftover chicken (if there is any) to make amazing sandwiches with a little bit of mayo and a salad made with radish and seasoned with lemon, or crunchy fresh lettuce leaves.
Use different types of apples that don’t break apart while cooking.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 1 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
|1 medium onion, cut into wedges|
|6 peeled garlic cloves|
|Chicken thighs and legs, divided|
|1 chicken breast, cut in half|
|1/4 cup soft butter|
|Salt and pepper|
|1 green apple and 1 red apple, sliced|
|1 teaspoon olive oil|
|Fresh thyme sprigs|
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with the onion and garlic.
- Make two small cuts on all chicken pieces and rub with the soft butter, making sure it gets into all the cuts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the apple slices.
- Sprinkle some olive oil over it, place the thyme over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes. Using a small brush, coat the chicken with the juice being released. Repeat once more until all of the chicken is golden brown and looks juicy.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the apples, onion, and garlic. If you want, you can serve it with slices of hearty bread or rice.
ServingSize 1 Serving
You can make the centerpiece of your holiday feast look as incredible as it tastes. This golden-skinned bird is roasted with apples and shallots, which make a beautiful, no-effort garnish for the serving platter. For another serving option, carve the chicken in advance, finely chop the apple/shallot mixture, and serve it in a pretty cut-glass bowl as a condiment alongside your favorite holiday side dishes. To get the best color on the skin, make sure the chicken is completely dry before roasting. After patting it with paper towels, the chicken will dry even further if you leave it out, uncovered, at room temperature for about 30 minutes. After stuffing the cavity, you must tuck the wings under and tie the legs together. This keeps the bird nice and compact and allows for even cooking, browning, and overall goodness of the roasted chicken. If you do not tuck and tie, you run the risk of an unevenly cooked chicken.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
|4 to 6 (about 2 1/2 lb. total) apples (such as Gala, Fuji, or Granny Smith), cored and quartered lengthwise if large|
|12 small (about 12 oz. total) shallots, trimmed and peeled, divided|
|2 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided|
|2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided|
|1 (5- to 6-lb.) whole chicken, patted dry with paper towels|
|3 thyme sprigs, plus 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme|
|3 rosemary sprigs, plus 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary|
|3 sage sprigs, plus 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage|
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place apples and 10 of the shallots in bottom of a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Push apples and shallots to edges of roasting pan.
- If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper inside cavity of chicken. Place 3 of the thyme sprigs, 3 of the rosemary sprigs, 3 of the sage sprigs, and remaining 2 shallots inside cavity. Place chicken in center of roasting pan; tuck wings under. Brush chicken all over with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast chicken in preheated oven until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of meat registers 160°F, about 1 hour, 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Remove and discard kitchen twine, if desired. Sprinkle apples and shallots with chopped thyme, chopped rosemary, and chopped sage. Arrange apples and shallots on the platter around chicken, and spoon any pan drippings around chicken on platter.
How to cook chicken and apples in a pan?
Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and stir until it is completely mixed. Toss the apples and onions in the sugar mixture over low heat until they are coated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
How to cook chicken tenderloin with Apple?
Directions. Make two small cuts on all chicken pieces and rub with the soft butter, making sure it gets into all the cuts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the apple slices. Sprinkle some olive oil over it, place the thyme over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes. Using a small brush, coat the chicken with the juice being released.
How to cook chicken legs with apple slices?
Add the apple slices. Sprinkle some olive oil over it, place the thyme over the chicken and bake for 30 minutes. Using a small brush, coat the chicken with the juice being released. Repeat once more until all of the chicken is golden brown and looks juicy.
How to cook chicken and apples in a slow cooker?
Directions. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with apples. Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in barbecue sauce, apple cider and honey; increase heat to medium-high. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Pour over chicken and apples.