Very easy bread recipe that I use for sandwich bread, pizza dough, and even naan! I live in Colorado Springs at an altitude of about 5,500 feet. This recipe works really well for me.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 2 hours 35 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
|1 cup warm water (100 degrees F/40 degrees C)|
|2 teaspoons active dry yeast|
|3 cups bread flour|
|¼ cup coconut oil, melted|
|1 tablespoon white sugar|
|1 teaspoon salt|
- Combine water and yeast and let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, coconut oil, sugar, salt, and yeast mixture in a bowl. Knead until silky-smooth, about 15 minutes. Place dough in a large, lightly-oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan.
- Punch down dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf and place into the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes for an Italian-style loaf or 45 minutes for a sandwich-style bread.
Calories 230.2 calories, Carbohydrate 34.6 g, Fat 7.6 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 5.8 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Sodium 293 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
Since we live in Colorado, I am always on the lookout for high-altitude bread recipes. Much easier than worrying about conversions or hoping that a recipe designed for sea-level will turn out! This one turns out great every time! You can also add about 1/2 c of chopped nuts, dried fruit, and/or chocolate chips.
Total time: 1 hours
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
|4 tablespoons butter, softened|
|2 -3 bananas, very ripe|
|2/3 cup sugar|
|1 1/3 cups flour|
|3/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/4 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter, eggs, sugar, and mashed bananas in bowl. Bananas should be finely mashed, there can be small (1 cm or less) chunks of banana in the batter.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in another bowl.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until well blended.
- If you would like to add optional ingredients (chopped nuts, dried fruit, and/or chocolate chips), stir in about 1/2 cup here.
- Pour dough into 1 greased 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Calories 1883.7, Fat 58, Saturated Fat 32.8, Cholesterol 494.1, Sodium 3018.7, Carbohydrate 315.5, Fiber 10.6, Sugar 162.8, Protein 32.8