Who can say no to a hearty and warm homemade french onion soup, especially in cold weather?! With this quick and easy Caldo de Pollo recipe, you can have a delicious bowl of Consomé de Pollo to warm your body, heart, and soul.
We all love soups, and Mexican chicken soup is no exception. A week will not pass by without serving at least one soup dish in our household.
For this Caldo de Pollo recipe, you will need vegetables, chicken broth, chicken meat, and a few herbs. In about 2 hours, you will have a warm bowl of delicious Caldo de Gallina.
What is Caldo de Pollo?
Caldo de Pollo is a Mexican chicken soup. It is also called Consomé de Pollo, Mexican chicken soup, or sopa de Caldo. Caldo means broth, and pollo means chicken. It literally translates to “chicken broth”.
However, this Caldo de Pollo recipe contains vegetables,como hacer, chicken, and broth that can be served over rice or as a soup dish. The types of vegetables added to Caldo de Pollo differ depending on the region of Mexico. But you can expect the same delicious and hearty broth anywhere. The process of making this broth is the same, cooking chicken in water, adding seasonings, and letting it simmer. Compared to store-bought chicken broth, making it from scratch is still better and more flavorful.
Product by: SmallRecipe.com
To make this delicious Caldo de Pollo recipe, you will need the following:
* Chicken thighs (bone-in, skin removed): Don't use boneless chicken parts. The flavors will come from the bones and not the meat. If you use boneless chicken, it will be a bit bland. By removing the skin, your soup will be less greasy.
* Water: To make homemade chicken broth.
* Bay leaves and garlic: For flavoring.
* Carrots and potatoes: Either remove the skin of the potatoes or leave it.
* Corn: Cut the corn cob into 3 to make it more convenient.
* Zucchini or chayote: Traditionally, chayote is used for Caldo de Pollo. However, zucchini is more accessible and can be used for this dish. You can also use yellow squash if you have them.
* Green cabbage: This can soak up the chicken flavors better than other vegetables.
* Cilantro and lime juice: For garnish and last minute additives before serving. Cilantro and lemon juice will add freshness, acidity, and brightness to the dish.
* Salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Caldo de Pollo
When all the ingredients are ready, we can start making the Caldo de Pollo!
Step 1: Add water, chicken thighs, salt, garlic, and bay leaves to a soup pot. Bring to a boil.
Step 2: Cover the pot, lower the heat to simmer, and continue cooking for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
Step 3: Skim off all the floating foams, bay leaves, and garlic.
Step 4: Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Step 5: Add your vegetables to the broth. Bring to a boil.
Step 6: Reduce to a simmer and let it cook for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
Step 7: Separate the chicken meat from the bones. Shred or cut the meat and discard the bones.
Step 8: Add the shredded chicken when the vegetables are cooked.
Step 9: Add lime juice and chopped cilantro.
Step 10: Check for seasonings; add salt and pepper if preferred.
Step 11: Serve in large soup bowls.
This Caldo de Pollo recipe needs little to no effort at all!
This Caldo de Pollo provides 1 serving. Adjust the ingredients to serve more people.
* Calories: 197kcal
* Carbohydrates: 21g
* Protein: 20g
* Fat: 4g
* Saturated Fat: 1g
* Cholesterol: 81mg
* Sodium: 1010mg
* Potassion: 835mg
* Fiber: 4g
* Sugar: 6g
* Vitamin A: 5354IU
* Vitamin C: 38mg
* Calcium 73mg
* Iron: 3mg
Tips & Tricks in Making Homemade Caldo de Pollo
Here are some tips you can use or add to this Caldo de Pollo recipe:
* Spice it up. You can add jalapeno, chilli powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper to add some spice.
* Skim excess fat. Strain the fat floating at the top of the soup to make your soup less fatty.
* Make it creamy. Add sour cream to add a rich and creamy flavor.
* Add tomatoes. The juicy fresh tomatoes are an amazing addition to your pico de gallo.
Caldo de Pollo can be served on top of rice with warm corn tortillas, diced avocados, fresh diced onions, or crunchy tortilla chips. It is a warming and hearty dish perfect for all seasons. It might take a long time to extract the flavor from the bone-in chicken. But the result is astounding. The best part? It doesn’t need too much effort and attention! Leave it on the stove while it simmers, and you can do your chores.
Making your own Mexican chicken soup using this Caldo de Pollo recipe is truly worth it!