PIE IRON PIZZA POCKETS – FRESH OFF THE GRID
A personal pizza in a handy little pocket, these campfire pie iron pizza pockets represent everything we love about camp cooking. They’re quick, easy, and so much fun to make. Crispy crust, melty mozzarella, and any topping your heart desires.
This is a quick and easy recipe for delicious pizza pockets made on a pie iron. Perfect for a campfire or backyard BBQ, these pockets can be filled with your favorite toppings and cooked to perfection. So fire up the grill and get ready to enjoy some delicious pizza pockets!
Provided by: Smallrecipe
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
|2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour|
|1 packet rapid rise yeast|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|1 cup warm water|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|½ cup pizza sauce|
|1 cup low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese|
|1 green bell pepper (diced)|
|4 oz can sliced black olives (drained)|
|16 slices pepperoni|
- Make the dough (can be done ahead of time!): In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the oil and water. Using a spoon or fork, mix the ingredients until a dough forms. Add additional flour if it seems too wet, then knead until a ball forms. Cover and let rise 20 minutes. *Alternatively, use pre-made dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Working with two pieces at a time, stretch and flatten the dough into roughly 4 ½ x 4 ½ inch squares.
- Oil the pie iron and press one square of dough into the bottom plate. Load up your ingredients: 2 tablespoons of sauce followed by the ¼ cup cheese, ¼ of the bell pepper, 1 oz olives, and 4 pepperonis. Top with a second square of dough. Close & lock the pie iron.
- Cook over the fire or on top of your campfire embers until the crust is golden brown, flipping as needed to ensure even heat. The exact timing will be variable depending on your campfire intensity, but generally, this will only take 2-3 minutes. Check often!
- Remove from the heat, then carefully unlock the pie iron and turn the pizza pocket out.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Be mindful that the iron will be HOT when prepping subsequent pizza pockets. Wait until the iron has cooled, or take extreme care when reloading the iron.
Calories 550 kcal, Carbohydrate 67 g, Fat 23 g, Protein 18 g, ServingSize 1 serving
What serve with the Pie Iron Pizza Pocket ?
- A nice, cold beer or soda to wash it all down.
- A simple green salad for a lighter option.
- Some roasted vegetables as a side dish .
- A big glass of ice cold milk for the kids (or adults!).
The pie iron pizza pocket is a great way to make a delicious and healthy pizza. The pockets are easy to make and can be made in advance. The Pocket is a great way to get your family and friends together for a healthy and delicious meal.