Canning apple pie filling is a great shortcut to get ahead of the pie-making game during apple season. This recipe makes seven quart jars of filling for apple pies. Two quarts make a 9-inch pie. You’ll need to prepare seven 1-quart canning jars, with rings and lids.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 7 quarts
|4 ½ cups white sugar|
|1 cup cornstarch|
|2 teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|10 cups water|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|3 tablespoons lemon juice|
|2 drops yellow food coloring|
|6 pounds apples|
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large pan. Add water and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and food coloring.
- Sterilize canning jars, lids, and rings by boiling them in a large pot of water.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Pack the sliced apples into hot canning jars, leaving a 1/2 inch of headspace.
- Fill jars with hot syrup, and gently remove air bubbles with a knife.
- Put lids on and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes.
Calories 96.7 calories, Carbohydrate 25 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 0.1 g, Sodium 85 mg, Sugar 21.1 g
How do you can apples in a canner?
Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well. Fill the canner half full with clean warm water. Center the canner over the burner and preheat the water to 140°F for raw-packed foods and to 180°F for hot-packed foods. Use a food thermometer to monitor temperature. Put jars into canners so they fill with water. Prepare apples while preheating jars.
How do you can apple slices for jam?
6. Carefully add the apple slices to the boiling canning liquid and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are heated through. Be sure to stir gently, so that the apple slices don’t fall apart. 7. Pack the apples into canning jars, being mindful to leave 1/2 inch headspace.
What is the best way to can applesauce?
Homemade applesauce is one of the easiest apple canning recipes. Simply chop apples, peeled or not, and place them in a pot. Cook until mushy, and then can them up, chunky or smooth. Be sure to treat the apple slices with lemon juice if you want a bright yellow sauce, or let them brown for an old fashioned look.
Can apples be processed in a water bath Canner?
Apples are a high-acid food and can be safely processed in a water bath canner. You will need about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of apples for a quart jar.