These taste just like the one’s your grandmother use to make. They are so thin and perfect. Unless you tell I promise nobody will ever know they are flour tortilla’s. If you want to make for a really big crowd, follow the same instructions just use a 6 qt pot and an additional small pack of 8.5 oz shells. Also you can omit the chicken if you want and use canned chicken broth or bouillon cubes.
Total time: 25 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 serving(s)
|3 boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|14 ounces of aztec burrito-size flour tortillas|
|2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup|
|1/2 cup butter (not margarine)|
|1 cup milk|
- Fill 4-quart pot half full with water.
- Boil chicken until tender.
- While chicken is cooking, slice tortillas with a sharp knife 5 slices across and one slice through the middle.
- Remove cooked chicken and shred with a fork or cut into cubes.
- Place chicken, cream of chicken soup, butter, salt and pepper into boiling chicken broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Drop individual tortillas into pot one piece at a time.
- Do not stir, you can pat the top of the dumplings and move them around slightly with a wooden spoon.
- Boil medium/high heat for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1 cup of milk and move the dumplings around gently to mix the milk.
Calories 262.5, Fat 14.6, Saturated Fat 7, Cholesterol 46, Sodium 670.7, Carbohydrate 21.5, Fiber 1, Sugar 0.9, Protein 10.9
Provided by: Kathryn Burkhalter, Bruce, Florida
Yield: 6 servings
|6 chicken leg quarters (5 pounds)|
|8 cups water|
|2 celery ribs, chopped|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|2 chicken bouillon cubes|
|1 ½ teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon pepper|
|1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted|
|1 (15-ounce) package 8-inch flour tortillas|
- Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Let chicken and broth cool. Skin, bone, and cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Skim fat from broth. Add soup to broth; bring to a boil.
- Cut tortillas into 2- x 1-inch strips. Add strips, 1 at a time, to briskly boiling broth mixture. Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent dumplings from sticking.
- Quick Tip: Substitute 8 cups chicken broth for water; omit bouillon cubes; reduce salt to 1/2 teaspoon. Proceed with recipe using 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.