Chicken Gizzard is Served over white rice or mashed potatoes this gizzard chicken recipe is so nutritious and easy to make that consist of rich meaty flavor.
Categories: Snack,Soup,Main Course
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
|1 pound chicken gizzard|
|4 slices bacon|
|1 quart chicken broth|
|2 carrots, peeled and chopped|
|1 small onion, minced|
|4 stalks celery, minced|
|2 teaspoons dried oregano|
|1 teaspoon dried thyme|
|1 poblano pepper, seeded and minced|
|6 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 teaspoons crushed red chili pepper|
|1-1/2 cups tomatoes, canned or fresh, chopped finely|
|1/2 cup red wine|
|1/4 cup white vinegar|
|4-6 dry bay leaves|
|2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce|
|parsley sprigs for garnish|
- Take a gizzard at a time and chop into 4 pieces. Repeat the same for the rest and set aside.
- Heat up a large Dutch oven over medium heat and fry the bacon slices until the fat has rendered out. Remove them and set aside.
- In the bacon fat, saute the onion until it starts to turn golden brown for about 8 minutes. Raise heat to medium high and add carrots, celery, pepper and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes and then add thyme, oregano, and red chili flakes.
- Stir in tomatoes and let them brown slightly for about a minute, scrape the bottom and let them sit again. Repeat this for 3 to 4 times.
- Stir in wine, vinegar, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. Add gizzards. Bring it to a boil. Don’t hard boil or else your gizzards will toughen up.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2-1/2-3 hours, stirring occasionally or meat is very tender.
- Serve the stew over plain white rice, topped with parsley and crumbled bacon.
Servingsize 4 serving, Calories 234 kcal, Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 282 mg, Sodium 1229 mg, Carbohydrate 17 g, Sugar 7 g, Protein 25 mg