This dessert is a wonderful change from banana fritters. Apple chunks are fried in batter, then coated in caramel and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 26 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 11 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|3 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1 apple – peeled, cored, and cut into chunks|
|¾ cup cornstarch|
|1 tablespoon water, divided|
|1 egg, beaten|
|oil for frying|
|¾ cup white sugar|
|3 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|½ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds|
- Pour flour into a shallow bowl. Dredge apple chunks in flour.
- Mix cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water thoroughly in a small bowl. Mix in egg.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan to 320 degrees F (160 degrees C). Dip apple chunks in the cornstarch mixture; cook in the hot oil until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Combine sugar, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, and remaining 1 teaspoon water in a separate saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until sugar melts, turns light golden, and starts to bubble, 8 to 10 minutes. Mix in fried apple chunks until evenly coated with caramel.
- Transfer caramel-coated apple chunks to a large serving dish; lift with chopsticks to separate and create sugar threads. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Calories 438.7 calories, Carbohydrate 69.6 g, Cholesterol 46.5 mg, Fat 17.3 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 2.7 g, Sodium 20.3 mg, Sugar 41.2 g
What is the best way to cook apples for Chinese soup?
A jujube preserved in sugar, dried honey dates are commonly used in Chinese soups for a natural sweet taste. #1. Wash the apples thoroughly as they will be boiled with the skin on. You can also peel the skin if you wish but I prefer to have the skin on as much of its valuable nutritional content reside in the peel.
How do you make Apple soup at home?
Remove, rinse and set aside. Rinse apples thoroughly. Cut into sections and core. Rinse all the dried ingredients (red dates, honey dates and apricot kernels). Put all ingredients (except apples) into a soup pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the apples, lower heat and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours at the most.
What does Chinese Apple soup taste like?
The soup is refreshing to taste. Light and sweet with a sourish, salty tinge. I haven’t tried this, but apparently you could half the number of apples and replace it with Chinese Pears (those yellow ones), or even replace the apples with pears if the pears are in season.
How to cook apples and goji berries for sushi?
Cover, bring to a boil, lower heat, then simmer for 1 hour. Add apples, and simmer for another 45 minutes. Add goji berries, and simmer for another 15 minutes. Add salt, adjust to suit your taste. Turn off the heat, transfer to serving bowls, and serve hot or warm.