These are the easiest and funnest gifts for anytime of season! And they are delicious to eat too!
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 5 apples
|5 large Granny Smith apples|
|1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped|
|2 tablespoons water|
|7 ounces chocolate candy bar, broken into pieces|
|2 tablespoons shortening, divided|
|1 cup colored candy coating melts|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Dip apples into boiling water briefly, using a slotted spoon, to remove any wax that may be present. Wipe dry, and set aside to cool. Insert sticks into the apples through the cores.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and coat with cooking spray. Place the unwrapped caramels into a microwave-safe medium bowl along with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook on high for 2 minutes, then stir and continue cooking and stirring at 1 minute intervals until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Hold apples by the stick, and dip into the caramel to coat. Set on waxed paper; refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set.
- Heat the chocolate with 1 tablespoon of shortening in a microwave-safe bowl until melted and smooth. Dip apples into the chocolate to cover the layer of caramel. Return to the waxed paper to set.
- Melt the candy melts in the microwave with the remaining shortening, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth. Use a fork or wooden stick to flick colored designs onto your apples for a finishing touch. Refrigerate until set, overnight is even better.
Calories 831.1 calories, Carbohydrate 131.6 g, Cholesterol 22.2 mg, Fat 34.8 g, Fiber 4.8 g, Protein 8.1 g, Saturated Fat 17.5 g, Sodium 248.8 mg, Sugar 116.1 g
How do you make caramel apples with chocolate chips?
Insert wooden sticks into apples; dip apples into the caramel mixture, turning to coat. Coat with nuts; set on waxed paper to cool. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over apples.
How do you make caramel apples in the microwave?
Microwave 20-40 seconds longer or until the caramels are melted; stir until smooth. Insert wooden sticks into apples; dip apples into the caramel mixture, turning to coat. Coat with nuts; set on waxed paper to cool. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
How do you make caramel apples with pearls?
Dip apples, one at a time, in the bowl of melted caramel. Place them on a cookie tray lined with wax paper. Place tray in the fridge for 15 minutes so that the caramel sets up a bit. Remove tray from fridge and cover all the apples with chocolate chips. Fill any gaps with golden edible pearls.
What kind of sticks to use for caramel apples?
Your chocolate caramel apples are only as good as the ingredients you use. These apples will get heavy! So, you must use thick wooden popsicle sticks or wooden lollipop sticks. DON’T use plastic lollipop sticks or thick straws!