Make candy apples that actually look like real candy with these fully customizable sweet treats.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|4 ½ cups granulated sugar|
|1 ½ cups water|
|¾ cups corn syrup|
|3 tbsp white food colouring|
|rainbow food colouring|
|12 granny smith apples|
|lollipop sticks or skewers|
- You will be making 2 colors per batch, so just repeat these steps 3 times.
- Place 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, ½ cup water and ¼ cup corn syrup into a medium-sized pot and stir to combine.
- Add 1 tbsp white food coloring and several drops pink food coloring and mix well.
- Set to medium-high heat and attach a candy thermometer. Heat to 302F.
- In the meantime, wash the apples, remove the stems and insert lollipop sticks or skewers into the top. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Once the candy reaches 302F, dip 2 apples into the pink candy, then place on the baking sheet.
- Add some orange food coloring to the candy, mix well, then coat 2 apples in orange candy.
- To easily clean the pot between batches, pour out any excess candy into a silicone mold, then fill the pot with water. Bring to a boil and boil until the excess candy coating melts. Pour out the hot water, then repeat Steps 2-6, making yellow and green in one batch and blue and purple in the last batch.
How do you make candy coated apples?
Place the prepped apples on a baking sheet covered with waxed paper. Next, you’ll want to make the candy coating. Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a large, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook and stir the ingredients over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil.
What kind of food coloring do you use for candy apples?
The best food coloring to use for candy apples is liquid gel food coloring because it will make the colors really pop. Traditional liquid coloring will work in a pinch but will be very subtle. How long does it take for candy apples to harden?
How do you dye apples with corn syrup and sugar?
Insert a wooden stick into the top of each apple, pushing about halfway through. Set aside. In a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, and food coloring and bring to a boil.
How do you make apples with pop sticks?
Insert pop sticks into apples. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in food colorings. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from heat.