This is a very good recipe for apple crisp made with oatmeal. Serve warm or cold.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Yield: 1 – 9×13 inch pan
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 cups rolled oats|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|½ teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1 ½ cups packed brown sugar|
|1 ½ cups butter|
|2 quarts peeled, cored and sliced apples|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Cut butter into mixture until crumbly.
- Take half of the mixture and pat it into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cover crumb mixture with apple slices, then sprinkle apple slices with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender.
Calories 319.4 calories, Carbohydrate 42.5 g, Cholesterol 40.7 mg, Fat 16.2 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 3 g, Saturated Fat 9.9 g, Sodium 115.5 mg, Sugar 23.7 g
A family favorite. The house smells great when it’s cooking! Serve warm. Vanilla ice cream is a great accompaniment.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|3 pounds apples – peeled, cored, and sliced|
|1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces|
|2 tablespoons lemon juice|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 cup rolled oats|
|1 ½ cups brown sugar|
|1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|½ cup butter|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Spread apple slices into prepared baking pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter pieces and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl. Cut butter into oat mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; spread over apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven until topping is browned and apples are soft and tender, about 30 minutes.
Calories 403.5 calories, Carbohydrate 69.6 g, Cholesterol 34.3 mg, Fat 14.1 g, Fiber 5.8 g, Protein 3.6 g, Saturated Fat 8.4 g, Sodium 392.9 mg, Sugar 44.3 g
What can I do with Cortland apples?
Slice thin and add to sandwiches, burgers, and quesadillas. Use in lieu of crackers and pair with sweet and savory dips or flavorful cheeses. The sweet-tart flavor of the Cortland apple also shines in cooked preparations.
What is the best way to make apple crisp?
Arrange apple slices evenly in prepared baking dish. Sift flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal; sprinkle over apples.
What does a Cortland apple taste like?
A large, beautiful apple, it comes in shades of deep red with green and yellow streaks. Its sweet-tart flavor is similar to its McIntosh parent, but a little less tangy. It is less juicy than a Mac as well, and it retains its shape better when cooked. In addition to being a great baking apple, Cortlands are excellent for fresh eating.
Where do Cortland apples come from?
Cortland apples grow on trees that reach 2 to 4 meters in height and are favored by farmers for their annual bearing, disease resistance, and cold torance. The variety was named after Cortland County, New York, a county close to the apple’s origination site of Geneva, New York.