DELI ROAST BEEF FOR SANDWICHES RECIPE
The best cut of roast beef for sandwiches isn’t necessarily the same as what you’d want hot from the oven. A hot roast demands plenty of marbling so that the rich fat can melt and baste the meat with its goodness. Roast beef sandwiches work better made from a leaner cut, preferably one with a mineral, earthy taste, and a nice chew. A top loin roast is ideal. It’s got plenty of brawny flavors, and all of the fat is on the surface, which you can easily trim off after the meat is cooked. Here, the beef is roasted low and slow to ensure rare, juicy meat. This said if you want a more economical cut, use bottom, top, or eye round here instead. Just adjust the roasting time if the cut is larger or smaller. As long as you pull the meat out of the oven when it reaches between 125 and 130 degrees, you’ll get nicely rare meat.
Provided by: Smallrecipe
Total time: 6 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 6 to 10 sandwiches
|2 small garlic cloves, grated|
|2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|2 teaspoons black pepper|
|2 teaspoons rosemary leaves|
|2 1/2 pounds boneless beef top loin roast (leave the fat on top)|
|Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed|
- In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Spread the paste all over the meat. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to prepare the meat, remove it from the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Coat the roast lightly with olive oil. Transfer to the wire rack and roast for 75 to 95 minutes, until an instant thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 125 to 130 degrees for medium-rare.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let cool completely before carving (trim off the fat cap if you plan to serve it cold). The meat can be roasted three days ahead; cool completely before refrigerating.
Calories 285, UnsaturatedFat 10 grams, Carbohydrate 1 gram, Fat 21 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 22 grams, Saturated Fat 8 grams, Sodium 270 milligrams, Sugar 0 gram.
- If you have leftover deli roast beef, it can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. Slice the meat thinly and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. When you’re ready to eat it, reheat the meat in the oven or microwave.
- Another way to store deli roast beef is to freeze it. First, slice the meat into thin strips and then wrap it tightly in freezer-safe wrapping. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw the meat in the fridge overnight and then reheat it in the oven or microwave.
What serves with deli roast beef?
Deli roast beef is a versatile meat that can be used in a variety of dishes. Here are some ideas of what to serve with deli roast beef:
- Roast beef sandwiches: Of course, one of the most classic ways to enjoy deli roast beef is in a sandwich. Pile on some thinly sliced meat, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
- Beef and potatoes: For a heartier meal, try pairing deli roast beef with potatoes. Roast some Yukon Golds or sweet potatoes until they’re nice and crispy, then top with thinly sliced roast beef and your favorite gravy or sauce.
What are the best tips for making a great roast beef sandwich?
1. Start with high-quality deli roast beef. Look for beef that is well-marbled and has a rich flavor.
2. Slice the beef thinly, against the grain. This will help to ensure that the beef is tender when you bite into your sandwich.
3. Toast your bread before adding the roast beef and other toppings. This will help to keep your sandwich from getting soggy.
4. Add some sort of sauce or spread to your sandwich. A horseradish cream or Dijon mustard can really elevate the flavors in a roast beef sandwich.
5. Don’t forget the veggies! Adding some crisp lettuce and tomatoes can really balance out the flavors in your sandwich and make it more refreshing to eat.
This recipe for deli roast beef sandwiches is easy to follow and yields delicious results. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create mouthwatering sandwiches that are perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick lunch option or a more substantial meal, this recipe is sure to please. Give it a try today!