A pan seared steak dinner for two with creamy mashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and steamed vegetables is QUICK and EASY to make and budget friendly too!
Provided by: Life Tastes Good
Total time: 36 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 16 minutes
|2 medium sized Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed|
|1/2 tablespoon kosher salt|
|2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled|
|Water to cover potatoes in pan|
|3 tablespoons unsalted butter (use more butter as needed)|
|3 tablespoons heavy cream, warmed slightly (use more cream as needed)|
|Salt & pepper to taste|
|1 lb Top sirloin steak filets, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick (2 steaks)|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided|
|1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, divided|
|1 tablespoon Ghee (or canola oil if you prefer)|
|2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled|
|4 tablespoons unsalted butter for basting steaks|
|Sprigs of fresh thyme|
|1/2 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened|
|1/8 teaspoon garlic, minced (or more to taste)|
|Pinch of kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced|
|pinch of kosher salt|
- Preheat the oven to 250°F
- Place cubed potatoes in a saucepan with 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt, 2 to 3 cloves of peeled garlic, and enough water to cover the potatoes in the pan. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. About 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir the potatoes to dry them out. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher (see note).
- Add 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons heavy cream and stir the potatoes with a wooden spoon until creamy. Gradually add more butter and cream a little at a time until your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven to keep warm
- While the potatoes are boiling, set a cast iron skillet over mid-high heat to get the pan screaming hot – about 5 minutes.
- While the skillet is heating, season the steaks with 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper on both sides of both steaks.
- Add 1 tablespoon ghee (or oil) to the hot skillet and immediately put the seasoned steaks in the skillet. Let sear for 4 minutes and then turn over. The steak should have a nice crust on the one side at this point.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter, a few cloves of garlic and a couple sprigs of thyme to the skillet and let the steaks sear another 4 minutes while using a spoon to baste the steaks with the butter in the skillet.
- Check the internal temperature of the steaks with an instant read thermometer. For mid rare cook to no more than 120°F and remove them from the heat to rest 10 minutes.
- If your steak needs more cook time, transfer the pan to the preheated oven and cook for 3-5 more minutes until it reaches the desired temperature.
- When the steaks are ready, remove the steaks to a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steaks are resting, prepare the green beans.
- Add about 2 inches of water in a sauce pan and set a steamer basket on top.
- Put trimmed green beans in the steamer basket and season with salt.
- Put the lid on the steamer basket and set the pan over mid-high heat.
- Cook 8-10 minutes until desired tenderness.
- When the green beans are done, remove them from the heat to a serving dish.
- Make garlic butter in a microwave safe dish with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/8 teaspoon freshly minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Microwave about 20 seconds until butter is melted. Stir to combine and pour desired amount over green beans. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- While green beans are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons butter & a pinch of salt over medium heat in the same skillet you cooked the steaks. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they release their juices. About 5-8 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Serve mushrooms over steak
Calories 1004.52, Fat 80.72, Saturated Fat 48.12, Carbohydrate 56.52, Fiber 15.73, Sugar 17.91, Protein 24.76, Sodium 2408.80, Cholesterol 235.49