What’s the secret to having delicious homemade apple pie on hand at all times? Your freezer, of course! We’ll give you the best tips and tricks for making any occasion easier. We break down all the steps so you know how to freeze apple pie and how to bake a frozen apple pie, so you can get back to family time.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 1 hours 40 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
|1 box (14.1 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 Count), softened as directed on box|
|6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium)|
|3/4 cup sugar|
|3 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice|
- Place 1 pie crust in 9-inch disposable foil or metal pie plate (do not use glass). Press crust firmly against side and bottom of pie plate.
- In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate.
- Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute.
- Tightly wrap unbaked pie in 3 layers of plastic wrap, making sure all sides of pie are completely sealed and unexposed.
- Next, place pie in gallon-size freezer plastic bag; label with the following information: Apple Pie and expiration date of pie which is 2 months after pie is frozen. Place pie in freezer; pull out when ready to bake.
- When ready to bake pie, heat oven to 450°F. When oven is preheated, remove frozen pie from freezer; cut a few slits in top crust and place in oven. Do not thaw pie because no one wants a soggy pie.
- Bake 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F; bake 40 to 50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and apples are hot and soft when pricked with a fork.
Calories 340 , Carbohydrate 56 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Fat 2 1/2 , Fiber 1 g, Protein 1 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 330 mg, Sugar 27 g, TransFat 0 g
How to freeze apples?
How to freeze apples. Step two- soak the apple slices in a lemon juice bath for 5 minutes. 4 cups water + 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Step three- drain. Either dump the apples into a colander or let them sit on a baking sheet propped up on one end. Step four- arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Step five- freeze for 4 hours- overnight.
Can you use frozen applesauce for baking?
Uses for Frozen Apples. Some spices lose their potency when frozen, so you may find that it works best to add your pie spices just prior to baking, instead of before freezing them. If you’re not big on canning, you can freeze your homemade apple butter and applesauce until you’re ready to use it.
Can you freeze apple crisp in an 8×8 Pan?
Yes! You can absolutely freeze apple crisp and that is what makes this recipe so perfect. Once I realized the power of the 8×8 pan, I went a little freezer stocking crazy. I used to make this apple dessert in a big 9 x 13 pan for company but we always had leftovers and it was just a little too much.
How to make homemade applesauce?
There is nothing better than homemade applesauce with hand-picked apples, and it is so easy to do! If you want chunky applesauce, use a potato masher to mash the cooked apples. If you prefer smooth apple sauce, run the cooked apples through a food mill. The key is adding a few strips of lemon peel to the apples while cooking.