Dense, fresh apple pie. Consistently wonderful. I use mostly granny smith apples because I love the tart apple flavor.
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6-8 serving(s)
|1 pastry for double-crust pie|
|2/3-3/4 cup sugar|
|2 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel|
|1 -2 teaspoon lemon juice|
|6 -7 cups thinly sliced peeled and cored cooking apples (2 pounds)|
|1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine|
- Prepare pastry. Roll out half of pastry and line 9-inch pie plate.
- In small bowl, combine sugar (amount depends on tartness of apples) and next 5 ingredients.
- Place half of thinly sliced apples in piecrust; sprinkle with half of sugar mixture. Top with rest of apples, then rest of sugar mixture.(I like to overlap the slices in a circular pattern).
- Dot the filling with butter. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out remaining paastry for top crust and decorate as desired. Be sure to cut vents in crust at a minimum. Fold pastry overhang under then bring up over pie plate rim. Pinch to form a high edge then make your choice of decorative edge.
- For a golden glaze bush the top crust (but not the edge) lightly with some milk. Bake pie for 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden.
Calories 494.6, Fat 23, Saturated Fat 6.5, Cholesterol 5.1, Sodium 340.2, Carbohydrate 70.2, Fiber 4.2, Sugar 35.4, Protein 4.5