CHICKEN GYRO BOWLS RECIPE
The spice rub for the meat marries just as well with fish fillets, shrimp, or lean ground lamb or beef. Make a few extra batches of the rub and store it in an airtight container to use all summer long.
Provided by: Sidney Fry, MS, RD
Total time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 bowl)
|¼ cup water|
|¼ cup cider vinegar|
|2 teaspoons sugar|
|½ cup very thinly sliced red onion|
|½ cup 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt|
|1 ½ tablespoons tahini|
|1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice|
|2 tablespoons water|
|2 cups cooked quinoa|
|2 teaspoons olive oil, divided|
|1 cup baby kale, chopped|
|¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided|
|1 teaspoon onion powder|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|¾ teaspoon dried oregano|
|½ teaspoon ground cumin|
|½ teaspoon kosher salt|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper|
|2 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets|
|½ (6-inch) whole-wheat pita, cut into 6 wedges, then separated|
|1 cup grape tomatoes, halved|
|1 cup thinly sliced cucumber|
|½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained|
|12 kalamata olives, thinly sliced|
|1 ½ ounces feta cheese, crumbled|
- To prepare pickles, combine 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and sugar in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until boiling. Stir in onion. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes at room temperature. Drain.
- To prepare sauce, combine yogurt, tahini, juice, and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare bowls, combine quinoa and 1 teaspoon oil in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Add kale and 1/2 cup parsley. Toss to combine.
- Combine onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with spice mixture; gently pat onto chicken (chicken will be heavily coated). Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn and cook 2 minutes or until done. Let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Arrange pita triangles in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat pita evenly with cooking spray. Broil 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until crisp.
- Place about 3/4 cup quinoa mixture in each of 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup cucumber, 2 tablespoons chickpeas, one-fourth of olives, one-fourth of cheese, one-fourth of pickled onion, and one-fourth of sliced chicken. Drizzle evenly with yogurt mixture. Top evenly with pita wedges. Sprinkle bowls evenly with remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
Calories 381 calories, Carbohydrate 41 g, Cholesterol 41 mg, Fat 13.3 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 26 g, Saturated Fat 3.1 g, Sodium 608 mg, Sugar 5 g