|8 ounces thick-cut bacon, such as Niman Ranch|
|8 ounces baby arugula|
|1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced|
|1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped (see note)|
|1/2 cup dried cranberries|
|6 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled|
|3 tablespoons good apple cider vinegar|
|1 teaspoon grated orange zest|
|2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice|
|2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard|
|2 tablespoons pure maple syrup|
|1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|2/3 cup good olive oil|
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and lay the bacon slices on the rack. Roast the bacon for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese.
- For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, maple syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Chop the bacon in large pieces and add it to the salad. Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss well. Serve immediately.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Categories: Main Meal
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic|
|3 tablespoons champagne vinegar|
|Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1/2 cup good olive oil|
|Salad greens or mesclun mix for 6 to 8 people|
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, garlic, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- Place the salad greens in a medium bowl and add enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with a little extra salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.