This recipe was originally submitted by Mean Chef (IHHDRO), and I adopted it after he left the site. My original review stated, “This is an incredible sandwich…the kind that you order from a great soup/sandwich deli. I loved it as is, but Hubby would have liked a few less capers, as he isn’t as much of a salt-fiend as I am. I did have to use a sweet yellow onion, as I had forgotten to pick up a red one. I also used black forest ham and roma tomatoes. Great sandwich.” We have made this several times and love this sandwich.
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|4 French rolls|
|2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|2 tablespoons red wine vinegar|
|4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|3 -4 teaspoons capers, drained|
|2 -3 pinches dried oregano, crushed|
|1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced|
|4 pickled peppers, mild, sliced|
|1/2 red onions or 1/2 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced|
|1/2 cup pimento stuffed olive, sliced|
|1 large tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|4 ounces dry salami, thinly sliced|
|4 ounces smoked turkey or 4 ounces mortadella|
|8 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced|
|olive oil, for brushing|
- Open the rolls and pull out a bit of their fluffy insides.
- Sprinkle each cut side with olive oil and vinegar, then with garlic, capers and oregano.
- Layer one side of each roll with red pepper, pickled peppers, onion, olives, tomato, salami, ham and finally the cheese.
- Replace roll tops, close up tightly and press together well to help seal.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and lightly brush the outside of each roll with olive oil.
- Place 2 sandwiches at a time in the hot pan.
- Press the sandwiches with a wide spatula several times, turning once or twice, until the bread is crisp and the cheese is melted.
- The sandwiches also can be pressed by placing a heavy skillet on top during grilling.
- (If the bread is browning too quickly, reduce heat to medium.) Cook sandwiches until golden brown on one side, then turn and brown the second side.
- Sandwiches are ready when crisply golden and the cheese has oozed a bit and crisped in places.
- Cut into halves and eat right away.
Calories 412.3, Fat 25.7, Saturated Fat 11.8, Cholesterol 46, Sodium 1171.3, Carbohydrate 25.5, Fiber 2.3, Sugar 2.3, Protein 20.3