Here’s what you need: rolled oats, unsalted butter, all-purpose flour, kosher salt, water, honeycrisp apple, lemon, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, unsweetened applesauce, unsalted butter, apricot jam
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Yield: 8 servings
|¾ cup rolled oats|
|6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3/4 stick|
|¾ cup all-purpose flour|
|½ teaspoon kosher salt|
|3 tablespoons water|
|2 ½ lb honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (4 apples)|
|½ lemon, juiced|
|½ teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1 cup unsweetened applesauce|
|1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted|
|1 tablespoon apricot jam, optional|
- Make the crust: In a food processor, blend the oats into a coarse powder.
- Add the butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until nutty brown in color, 5-6 minutes. Once the butter has browned, add the ground oats, flour, salt, and water, and mix to combine. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the crust mixture to a 9-inch (20 cm) tart pan, spreading evenly across the bottom and up the sides. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- Make the filling: Place the apples in a large microwave-safe bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over, then toss to coat. Microwave for 4 minutes. Cover with a plate and let steam for 5 minutes.
- Season the apples with the cinnamon and nutmeg, and toss to coat.
- Spread the applesauce over the bottom of the crust.
- Starting from the outside and working inward, arrange the apples in the pan in a circular pattern with the curved side up. Begin with the larger slices, overlapping slightly, and continue until the entire crust is filled. Brush the apples with the melted butter.
- Bake for 1 hour, checking occasionally. If the edges are browning too quickly, cover gently with foil to prevent further browning as the tart cooks through.
- If using, microwave the apricot jam for 20-30 seconds to melt. Use a pastry brush to paint the apricot jam over the warm tart for a nice, shiny finish.
- Let the tart cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Calories 264 calories, Carbohydrate 39 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 3 grams, Sugar 14 grams
How do you make applesauce without sugar?
Our 3-ingredient applesauce requires just 25 minutes and 1 pan to prepare. And it’s made without any added sugar. Just apples, lemon, and cinnamon. Let’s do this! We told you it’s easy, but “ How eas y?” you might ask! Peel and chop apples. You don’t even need to peel them if that’s more your style! Add to a saucepan with cinnamon.
What is a low sugar apple crumble?
A recipe for Low Sugar Apple Crumble (Apple Crisp) with a reduced amount of sugar in the Crumble Topping and no added sugar in the apple filling. Ground Cinnamon and a little soft brown sugar add toffee flavours to the crisp crumbly topping.
Do you have to add sugar when cooking with Apple?
Fruits are very sweet! As long as you don’t use tart varieties such as Granny Smith, there’s truly no need for added sugar. Simply sprinkle the apples with cinnamon, then bake them until tender. Should I peel the apple? There’s no need to peel the apple – the skin softens nicely in the oven.
How to bake apple slices without butter?
The final step is to bake the apples until tender, about 10 minutes on each side in a 400°F oven. When you turn the slices, midway through baking, sprinkle them with the remaining cinnamon. You can skip the butter if you wish. The butter does enhance the apple’s flavor, but I find that the apple slices are delicious even without it.