Matar Masala is very popular main course Indian dish prepared with green peas and tomatoes. Vegan and gluten free, this curry can also be an excellent base for any vegetarian or non-vegetarian main course curry.
The traditional version of Masala Matar Curry has sweet green peas in an easy and very versatile Indian tomato spiced curry. You can add soy tofu or indian paneer or chicken and make it your own. Serve it with rice or Indian style naan bread.
Whenever I make Masala Matar curry, I make double the quantity. Since it tastes even better a day after it has been cooked, I love frying some rice in for lunch next day or add some paneer/mushroom for a main course dish with roti/naan.
Fit in every taste profile, this easy curry never stops to amaze me! In my books, dinner can’t be easier than this!!!
If you find curry on spicy side, serve it with traditional Cucumber Raita.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Categories: Curry,Side Dish,Main Course
Total time: 35 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 Servings
|1 Cup Green Peas|
|1 tsp Salt|
|2 Tomatoes, fine grated medium size tomatoes or 1/4 cup tomato paste|
|1 tbsp Coriander Powder|
|1 tsp Turmeric|
|1/4 Cup Yogurt, 1/4 cup yogurt mix into 1/4 cup water|
|1/2 tsp Chili Powder, adjust per taste, I use more if mild|
|2 tbsp Canola Oil|
|1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds|
|1 Curry Leaf|
|1/2 Cup Red Onion|
|2 Hot Green Pepper (small)|
|4 Garlic, Cloves|
|1/4 tsp Garam Masala|
|2 tbsp Cilantro, Chopped|
- Grind Onion, garlic and Green Chili Pepper in grinder to a paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and Curry Pata and fry for 1 minute. Now, add grinded onion mixture to oil.
- Fry onions mixture till brown (caramelized) and oil starts to seperate. (5-7 minutes)
- Now add turmeric, red chili powder and fry for 1 min. Add Coriander Powder, Tomato Paste , salt and fry till oil separates.
- Remove pan from heat. Cool down, add yogurt and mix well. Turn on the heat again, add Peas and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5-6 more minutes.
- Add Garam Masala and stir well. Serve with Naan Or Roti Or Rice
How to make Chonkha Matar
Categories: Main – Course – Vegetarian –
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|Green Peas,Cumin Seeds,Oil,Ginger,Green chilli,Red chilli powder,Turmeric powder,Coriander powder,Salt,Garam masala powder,Juice of 1 lemon,Fresh coriander leaves,Ginger,|
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and saute till they change colour. Add ginger and green chilli and sauté till one minute.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix well and sauté for half a minute. Add green peas and toss to mix.
- Cook till they are tender. Add salt and garam masala powder and mix well. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well. Garnish with ginger strips and serve hot.
Calories 458 calories, Carbohydrate 53 carbohydrates, Protein 23.5 proteins , Fat 16.9 fats, Fiber 29.4gm fibers