Chettinad mushroom biryani recipe with exotic chettinad biryani masala, basmati rice, mushroom and herbs.
Provided by: admin
Categories: Main Course
Total time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 3 people
|1 inch Cinnamon stick|
|2 Green cardamom pods|
|1 teaspoon Cumin seeds|
|1 teaspoon Black peppercorns|
|2 Star anise|
|1 Mace blade|
|1 Black cardamom|
|1 Stone flower ((dagad phool/kalpasi))|
|1.5 cup Basmati rice (soaked in water for 30 minutes)|
|2 and 3/4 cups Water|
|1.5 cup Mushroom (thick slices)|
|¼ cup Curd|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 Green chili|
|1 cup Red onion (thinly sliced)|
|1 medium sized Tomato (thinly sliced)|
|1 tablespoon Ginger and garlic paste|
|¼ cup Mint leaves (chopped)|
|¼ cup Coriander leaves /cilantro (chopped)|
|¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder|
|2 teaspoon Red chili powder|
|2 teaspoon Chettinad biryani masala|
- Rinse and soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the biryani masala by dry roasting and grinding the ingredients mentioned under “For making Chettinad biryani masala” section.
- Heat a casserole pot or a heavy bottom kadai; add oil and ghee to it.
- Then add the bay leaves and green chili.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and cook until the onions caramelize.
- Later add the freshly grounded ginger garlic paste and cook until the raw flavor goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes until it turns mushy followed by chopped mint and coriander leaves.
- After 2 minutes add the sliced mushroom and give it a mix and add the spice powders, turmeric powder, red chili powder, biryani masala.
- Once the raw smell is gone, add 1/4 cup of curd and cook until the oil oozes out.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and add enough water and salt to cook the biryani.
- Cook on a medium flame with the lid closed until all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the flame once done and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- The aromatic spicy Chettinad mushroom biryani is ready and it can be served with yogurt/raitha.
ServingSize 3 100, Calories 119 kcal