Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and when it comes to preparing this meal, I am usually looking for something quick and nutritious. I am an egg lover, but to be honest, I get bored with the typical ways of preparing eggs. Scrambling, frying, etc. yeah I’ve done it all, but I am constantly looking to reinvent classic recipes.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 4 minutes
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
|1 large egg|
|1 slice whole grain bread (can substitute any type of bread)|
|1 tsp olive oil|
|5 grape tomatoes (sliced lengthwise (sliced avocado is also a great substitute))|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil on a small frying pan and preheat your pan.
- While the pan is heating use a knife or round cookie cutter to cut a circle in your slice of bread.
- Place your slice of bread on the frying pan and heat for less than a minute (or until 1 side is golden brown). Flip the bread over onto the other side and cook until the other side is golden brown.
- Crack your egg into a separate bowl.
- Drop the egg from the bowl directly into the hole in your slice of bread on the frying pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Flip the bread/egg combination onto the other side and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from the frying pan and plate with sliced grape tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I got the basics of this recipe from a friend of mine and thought it was a great idea since these little nests can be made ahead, which I love. They are delicious, easy to make, and can be customized to your own tastes. I not only use the recipe as a delicious grab-and-go breakfast, but serve it to guests nestled into some lovely cheese grits, alongside fresh fruits and French toast made on a panini press. Oh, and don’t forget the mimosas!
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Categories: Breakfast Potatoes
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 24 breakfast cups
|1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed|
|2 ½ teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|2 ½ tablespoons olive oil|
|⅔ cup shredded Cheddar cheese|
|2 tablespoons water|
|8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled – divided|
|¼ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 24 muffin cups.
- Mix hash brown potatoes, salt, black pepper, olive oil, and 2/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese in a bowl. Divide mixture between prepared muffin cups and use your fingers to shape potato mixture into nests with hollows in the middle.
- Bake in the preheated oven until hash browns are browned on the edges and cheese has melted, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove hash brown nests.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk eggs and water in a bowl until thoroughly combined; season with salt and black pepper. Pour equal amount of egg mixture into each nest; sprinkle with bacon crumbles and 1 teaspoon Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven until eggs are set, 13 to 16 minutes. Let cool in pans and remove by sliding a knife between potato crust and muffin cup.
Calories 231.8 calories, Carbohydrate 13.3 g, Cholesterol 203.9 mg, Fat 18.4 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 12.9 g, Saturated Fat 6.6 g, Sodium 815.6 mg, Sugar 0.4 g