Found on the Net while searching for a Merle Haggard salad recipe. A new celebrity recipe for my collection!
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 8 serving(s)
|1 lb chorizo sausage or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|5 tablespoons canola oil, divided|
|1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes|
|3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water|
|3 tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper|
|1/2 cup chopped purple onion|
|1 cup diced carrot|
|1/2 cup chopped celery|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 cup cubed jicama|
|2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons cilantro, if you like the taste|
|1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans|
|1 bay leaf, crumbled|
|1 teaspoon summer savory, crumbled|
|5 teaspoons ground red chili pepper, if available (or substitute chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper sauce to taste)|
|1/2 cup chopped green onion|
- Brown sausage in 2 tbsp oil over medium heat in Dutch oven.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until golden; remove and drain pan; return meat to pan and add liquid.
- Cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, put remaining oil and flour in a skillet over medium heat; cook briefly, stirring constantly; add vegetables and parsley and cook 10 minutes.
- Combine vegetable mixture with kidney beans and spices with the meat in the Dutch oven; bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper sauce.
- Add green onions and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Calories 447.6, Fat 26.9, Saturated Fat 6.5, Cholesterol 73.7, Sodium 906.3, Carbohydrate 24.4, Fiber 7.1, Sugar 3.9, Protein 27.1