I forgot that I had this recipe until someone asked about it. Shaped and tastes like the Suzy-Q snack cakes (made by Hostess)!
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 serving(s)
|18 1/4 ounces devil’s food cake mix|
|1 1/4 cups water|
|1/3 cup vegetable oil|
|1 cup whole milk|
|5 tablespoons flour|
|1 cup granulated sugar|
|1 cup Crisco shortening|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 teaspoon vanilla, clear is best|
|powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)|
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs until smooth.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13" x 9" pan and bake according to the package directions.
- When cake is cooled, remove from pan to flat surface and cut cake in half horizontally.
- To prepare filling, cook flour and milk in a saucepan over low heat until thickened; whisking often. Cool mixture COMPLETELY in refrigerator.
- While heated mixture cools, beat together sugar, Crisco, salt and vanilla. Add to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread filling on 1 half of cake. Place other half of cake on top and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Calories 298.2, Fat 19.1, Saturated Fat 4.3, Cholesterol 33, Sodium 258.2, Carbohydrate 31, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 20.6, Protein 3.1