This Dutch oven carnitas recipe is requested by friends and family repeatedly. Many find carnitas a little dry or flavorless, but these have a great, distinctive flavor. Serve with warm, fresh tortillas and salsa.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Categories: Mexican Recipes
Total time: 3 hours 45 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours 30 minutes
|¼ cup vegetable oil|
|4 pounds pork shoulder, cut into several large pieces|
|3 tablespoons kosher salt|
|1 onion, chopped|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|3 tablespoons lime juice|
|1 tablespoon chili powder|
|½ teaspoon dried oregano|
|½ teaspoon ground cumin|
|4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth|
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season pork shoulder pieces with salt, then arrange in the Dutch oven. Cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in onion, garlic, lime juice, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Pour in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until pork is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Transfer pork shoulder to a large baking sheet; reserve cooking liquid. Drizzle a small amount of cooking liquid over pork pieces and lightly season with salt.
- Bake pork in the preheated oven until browned, about 30 minutes. Drizzle more cooking liquid every 10 minutes; use two forks to shred pork as it browns.
Calories 249.8 calories, Carbohydrate 2.3 g, Cholesterol 62.5 mg, Fat 19.1 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 16.2 g, Saturated Fat 5.9 g, Sodium 2072.3 mg, Sugar 1.1 g