Simple and delicious, this amazing Moroccan chicken dish offers all the wonderful flavors of the Middle East with the convenience of one pot cooking. Tender, fall off the bone chicken is served with moist and fluffy rice and soft, yet hearty potatoes.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 125 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 120 minutes
|3 lbs chicken drumsticks|
|1 lb Yukon gold potatoes (chopped into chunks)|
|1 cup short grain brown rice (rinsed)|
|2 cups fat free chicken broth|
|1 large onion (finely chopped)|
|1 tbsp olive oil|
|1 tbsp cumin|
|2 tsp smoked paprika|
|2 tsp coriander|
|2 tsp tumeric|
|Juice from 1/2 a lemon|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large, oven safe pot, over medium high heat. Add in onions and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add in rice and 1/2 of spice mixture. Stir well. Pour in 1 cup of the chicken broth.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with remaining spice mixture until all chicken is evenly coated.
- Add chicken to pot. Add in the potatoes too. And then add in remaining cup of broth, or more if needed to make sure that all the rice and chicken are covered by liquid. Bring to a boil.
- As soon as the pot begins to boil, cover and transfer to oven and cook at 400 for 30 minutes. Then, lower heat to 350, and cook for about another 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Squeeze lemon juice over the pot before serving.
Calories 369 kcal, Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 23 g, ServingSize 1 serving