At the moment, my kitchens smells like an Italian restaurant. We bought some soft ball sized Rosa Bianca eggplants at our local farmer’s market on the weekend and my DH requested I do Eggplant Parmesan. The eggplants are grilled without any oil in this recipe. This should make 3 layers. Rosa Bianca are our favorites. They are round eggplants that are purple and white and very mild.
Total time: 1 hours 35 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Yield: 6-8 serving(s)
|6 large eggplants (I used Rosa Bianca)|
|2 (25 ounce) jars roasted garlic pasta sauce|
|1 cup breadcrumbs (you can use more if you like)|
|3 tablespoons garlic powder (one tbsp. for each layer)|
|3 cups grated cheese (I used Romano but Parmesan will do)|
- Turn your barbecue on to high.
- Cut the eggplants into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Grill them until they are lightly charred. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- If you can’t grill them all at once, remove the first batch and do the second.
- Once they are cook do the following:.
- In a 9x2x13 inch ceramic dish coat the bottom with a good layer of the pasta sauce.
- Lay the eggplant in a single layer over the sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese over the eggplants. Then sprinkle 1 tablespoons of the garlic powder over top of that. Repeat ending with the cheese and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and drizzle with a little olive oil if you like.
- Cook in a 375’F oven for about 45 minutes or until the bread crumbs are a golden brown and the eggplant is bubbling around the edges.
- Bon Appetit!
Calories 578.4, Fat 21.5, Saturated Fat 9.8, Cholesterol 36.2, Sodium 1826, Carbohydrate 78.6, Fiber 20.8, Sugar 36, Protein 24.4