Traditional South Indian Vegetable soup with lentils, it is a treat for the taste buds and must try for soup lovers. Generally served with Rice and curry, but can be drink as soup.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5-6 servings
|1 tbsp oil|
|1/2 onion (cubed)|
|1 serrano pepper (quartered)|
|Salt to taste|
|1 big carrot (diced )|
|1 small bottle gourd diced|
|1 big tomato (diced)|
|1 cup yellow lentils (aka toor dal or pigeon peas)|
|1 small lime sized tamarind (or concentrate 1 tbsp )|
|1/2 cup cilantro|
|4 cups Water (or as needed for desired consistency)|
|1 tbsp red chili powder (or to taste)|
|1 tbsp coriander powder|
|1 tbsp turmeric|
|2 tbsp sambar powder|
|3 tbsp ghee (( vegans can substitute with oil of choice ))|
|7-8 cloves garlic (crushed and chopped)|
|1 tbsp mustard seeds|
|1 tbsp cumin seeds|
|1 sprig curry leaves (or 10 to 15 leaves )|
- Put the pot on saute mode high, fry the seranno pepper and onions in oil. Add veggies of choice and fry for a minute.
- Add the spices mentioned, water, lentils and tamarind extract and salt.
- Turn off Saute mode and put manual high for 12 minutes.
- Once natural pressure releases, check for salt and spices, boil for few mins and turn off.
- Do the tempering (see notes) and add it to the sambar, add cilantro.
- Serve Hot with Rice and Potato chips.