SOUTHERN-STYLE EGG ROLLS RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Sausage, black-eyed peas and turnip greens give these unique egg rolls a decidedly southern accent. When I bring them to a party, I always come home with an empty plate. —Holly Jones, Kennesaw, Georgia
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 dozen (2-1/3 cups sauce).
|1 cup mayonnaise|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
|1/2 cup Dijon mustard|
|1/4 cup honey|
|1 tablespoon prepared horseradish|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce|
|1 pound bulk pork sausage|
|1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened|
|2 green onions, chopped|
|1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 package (16 ounces) frozen turnip greens, thawed and squeezed dry|
|2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese|
|1 cup canned black-eyed peas|
|24 egg roll wrappers|
|Oil for deep-fat frying|
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients until blended. Refrigerate, covered, until serving., For egg rolls, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Cool slightly., In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, green onions, soy sauce and garlic powder until blended; stir in turnip greens, cheese, black-eyed peas and sausage., With one corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, place 3 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll egg roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat., In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce.
Calories 373 calories, Fat 26g fat (7g saturated fat), Cholesterol 34mg cholesterol, Sodium 582mg sodium, Carbohydrate 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 9g protein.
SOUL ROLLS | TASTEMADE
Chef Derrell celebrates Juneteenth and his culture with finger-licking BBQ ribs, collard greens and potato salad; he also creates a new twist on a traditional egg roll with his signature sauce and a pulled BBQ pork sandwich that’s loaded with flavor.
Provided by: Tastemade
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
|1⁄2 cup of bbq pork|
|1⁄4 cup of cooked 1/4inch diced potatoes|
|1⁄4 cup of cooked collard greens|
|1 pack of 8” Spring Roll Wrappers Canola oil for frying|
|2 tbsp of Bbq sauce|
|1 tbsp of flour|
- In a dutch oven heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flour and water in a small bowl for sealing rolls.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pulled pork, collard greens, and potatoes, keep the mixture cool to ensure rolls stay intact during frying.
- Take one spring roll wrapper sheet and place it on a work surface.
- Carefully peel off one spring roll wrapper, keep the others covered under a damp towel.
- Place the wrapper with the smooth side down, in a diamond position. Place about 2tbsp of filling on the bottom. Rollup halfway, fold sides in then finish rolling.
- Use flour sludge to seal wrap
- Add rolls one at a time to the oil and fry for 2-3 mins, turning periodically until deep golden brown.
- Once done, remove from oil and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with a side of bbq sauce
HOW TO PREPARE ULTIMATE SOUL ROLLS (SOUL FOOD EGG ROLLS) | 10.000 …
How to Prepare Ultimate Soul Rolls (soul food egg rolls)
Provided by: Eddie Jones
Prep time: 28 minutes
Cook time: 56 minutes
|1 package egg roll wraps|
|1 can collard greens|
|1 box macaroni and cheese|
|1 can baked beans|
|for special sauce hot sauce and honey|
- The only thing that needs to be cooked is the macaroni and cheese. Follow the instructions on the box
- Take 1 egg roll wrap and layer mac and cheese, greens, and beans on the wrap
- Fold (instructions on how to fold egg rolls should be on the pack) and place in cooking oil to fry.
- Cook on both sides and then drain.
- Mix hot sauce and honey together for special dipping sauce.
Calories 133 calories