These Puerto Rican-style stuffed turkey legs were my dad’s favorite. This recipe is in his loving memory.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Categories: Caribbean Recipes
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|4 turkey legs|
|1 cup olive oil|
|2 green bell peppers|
|1 large white onion|
|2 tablespoons salt|
|1 pinch ground black pepper|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano|
|2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar|
|5 slices bacon|
|2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce|
- Make numerous vertical slits in the turkey legs.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, salt, pepper, teriyaki sauce, vinegar, and oregano. Add turkey legs and toss to coat. Let marinate while you prepare vegetables and bacon.
- Cut onion, green pepper, and bacon into small squares (approximately the same size as the slits in the legs).
- Fill each slit with one piece of pepper, onion, and bacon.
- After the legs are stuffed, brown them in the oil mixture on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce the temperature to low and cover. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until the meat starts to separate from the bone. If the legs dry out when cooking, add a little water to the skillet and lower the temperature.
Calories 581.1 calories, Carbohydrate 8.2 g, Cholesterol 191 mg, Fat 24.3 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 78.4 g, Saturated Fat 6.6 g, Sodium 4307.3 mg, Sugar 4.3 g