SWEET POTATO AND APPLE CASSEROLE RECIPE | Small Recipe
This wonderful sweet potato recipe tastes like a dessert. It’s always a favorite.
Provided by: Tamby Plue
Categories: Sweet Potato Casserole
Total time: 1 hours 15 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
|3 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered|
|½ cup firmly packed brown sugar|
|1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|2 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch rings|
|¼ cup all-purpose flour|
|¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar|
|¼ cup butter|
|¼ cup chopped pecans|
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 25 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, cool and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 7×11 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Layer sweet potatoes, brown sugar mixture and apples in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, butter and pecans. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Calories 239.2 calories, Carbohydrate 41.2 g, Cholesterol 15.3 mg, Fat 8.5 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 1.7 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Sodium 74.1 mg, Sugar 27.8 g
MAPLE-GLAZED SWEET POTATOES AND APPLES RECIPE
This recipe comes from the November 1993 issue and is part of our Thanksgiving Hall of Fame series. Check out that vintage photo!
Provided by: Bon Appétit
Yield: 8 Servings
|3 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (about 3 very large), peeled, cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rounds|
|1¾ pounds tart green apples, peeled, halved, cored, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices|
|¾ cup pure maple syrup|
|¼ cup apple cider|
|¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces|
|½ teaspoon salt|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish, alternate potato and apple slices in rows, packing tightly. Combine remaining ingredients in heavy medium saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Pour hot syrup over potatoes and apples. Cover dish tightly with foil and bake 1 hour. Uncover casserole. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature, basting occasionally with pan juices.)
- Reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake until potatoes and apples are very tender and syrup is reduced to thick glaze, basting occasionally, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.