A tangy and sweet syrup topping for your raspados or shaved ices.
Tools: pot, spoon, raspador
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: a lot of raspados
|20 tamarind pods (or half of the tamarind block)|
|4 cups of water|
|1 cup of sugar|
- If you started with the fresh pods, remove the husk and large vein inside.
- Add the seeds and pulp to the pot with the water and sugar.
- Boil for 30 minutes until the fruit softens and the water turns the color of the tamarind seeds. Dark brown.
- I like my syrup the consistency of honey, but it can also be the consistency of maple syrup. This means you stop the cooking process when the syrup reaches the consistency that you like.
- Remove from heat and let cool before using. You definitely need to allow this to cool. If you place hot or warm syrup on your shaved ice, it will melt.
- This mix is meant to be sweet, as it has a lot of sugar it holds up pretty long – about 3 months in the fridge.