White lily Cornbread is a very common southern staple that anyone can make. It’s also a very delicious and simple dish to make with ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Provided by: SmallRecipe.com
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix|
|1 teaspoon All-Vegetable Shortening|
|1 large egg|
|1 1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 1/4 cups milk|
|1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil|
|1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)|
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the shortening into an 8-inch ovenproof skillet or 8-inch round or square baking pan. Place in the oven for approximately five minutes.
- In a medium bowl, place the egg. Add cornmeal mixture, sugar, buttermilk, and oil and stir until moistened.
- Tilt the skillet gently to coat the bottom with shortening. Pour batter in skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Calories 235 kcal, ServingSize 1 serving